- Learn and experience roles you are hiring
- Hire people not looking for jobs
- Work with them before you hire
- As a founder, you’ll assume that everyone will be as excited about your company as you are. In reality, no one will. You need to spend a lot of time getting candidates excited about your mission.
- Meet with everyone
- Great people attract other great people
- You will likely have to negotiate a little bit. Learn how to do this. In general, materially breaking your compensation structure to get someone is a bad idea—word gets out and everyone will be upset.
- have a consistent framework for how you decide whether or not to hire—do you need unanimous consent?
hiring, startup, y combinator, sam altman